Who is responsible for your personal data?
AIPN is a not-for-profit membership association organized under the laws of Texas with its office at 11111 Katy Freeway, Suite 615, Houston, Texas 77079. AIPN is the controller of any personal data provided by you in connection with AIPN’s provision of services or communications to you in your region. We may be contacted at the address above or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Which personal data do we collect?
The personal data we collect may include:
- Your IP address, and information regarding the hardware and software on which you access AIPN’s website;
- Details concerning your browsing history of AIPN’s website, including the date and time of logins to AIPN’s website;
- Contact information, such as your name, job title, postal address, including your home address, where you have provided this to us, business address, telephone number, mobile phone number, fax number and email address;
- Individual demographic information, such data used for reviewing and approving membership applications and renewals, including type of employment, company type, job duties, years of industry experience, birth year, expected date of graduation, and historical academic information;
- Online activity as it relates to your membership or related to a transaction, including membership join date, annual membership renewal records, committee memberships or other group interest subscriptions, event registrations, and model contract downloads or other digital download receipts;
- Information collected from AIPN’s email software on mailing list subscribers, such as records of email campaigns sent, emails opened, and URL links clicked, and any email campaigns blocked by subscriber’s incoming email server;
- Payment data, such as data necessary for processing payments and fraud prevention, including credit/debit card numbers, security code numbers and other related billing information;
- Further business information necessarily processed in a project or client contractual relationship with AIPN or voluntarily provided by you, such as instructions given, payments made, requests and projects;
- Your username and password for the AIPN website or other password-protected platforms or services, where you have one;
- Information collected from publicly available resources, integrity databases and credit agencies;
- Details of memberships of a professional or trade association or union, such as bar memberships for the purpose of administering continuing education credits;
- If legally required for compliance purposes;
- Special categories of personal data (in connection with the registration for and provision of access to an event or seminar, we may ask for information about your health for the purpose of identifying and being considerate of any disabilities or special dietary requirements you may have – any use of such information is based on your consent, and if you do not provide any such information about disabilities or special dietary requirements, we will not be able to take any respective precautions); and/or
- Other personal data regarding your preferences where it is relevant to the services that we provide.
How do we collect your personal data?
We may collect personal data about you in a number of circumstances, including
- When you or your organization become a member, a sponsor of AIPN, or purchase a product offered by AIPN;
- When you or your organization browse, make an enquiry or otherwise interact on our website;
- When you attend a seminar or another AIPN event or sign up to receive personal data from us, including training; or
- When you or your organization offer to provide or provide services to us.
In some circumstances, we collect personal data about you from a third party source. For example, we may collect personal data from your organization, other organizations with whom you have dealings, government agencies, a credit reporting agency, an information or service provider or from a publicly available record.
AIPN collects and processes your personal data in accordance with applicable laws.
Are you required to provide personal data?
As a general principle, you will provide us with your personal data entirely voluntarily; there are generally no detrimental effects for you if you choose not to consent or to provide personal data. However, there are circumstances in which AIPN cannot take action without certain of your personal data, for example, because this personal data is required to process your instructions or orders, provide you with access to a web offering or newsletter or to carry out membership, vendor, or employment required compliance screening. In these cases, it will unfortunately not be possible for us to provide you with what you request without the relevant personal data and we will notify you accordingly.
For which purposes will we use your personal data?
We may use your personal data for the following purposes only ("Permitted Purposes"):
- Providing AIPN offerings or other services or things you may have requested, including online or technology services or solutions as instructed or requested by you or your organization;
- Providing items for which you opt into receiving or for which you request or sign-up (e.g., via your membership with AIPN, or by signing attendance sheets or mailing list sign-up sheets at AIPN events), such as AIPN’s mailings and newsletters;
- To provide training or networking event registration lists for check-in, and to create attendee contact lists for the purpose of enabling contact between event attendees in a professional capacity;
- Providing members of AIPN with access to and use of online accounts (i.e., via member login credentials);
- Providing non-member users with access in order to register for an AIPN event, make an online purchase, or to obtain attendee-only access to presentation material(s) from an AIPN event previously attended;
- Managing and administering your or your organization’s business relationship with AIPN, including processing payments, accounting, auditing, billing and collection, support services;
- Compliance with our legal obligations (such as record keeping obligations), compliance screening or recording obligations (e.g. under antitrust laws, export laws, trade sanction and embargo laws), which may include automated checks of your contact data or other information you provide about your identity against applicable sanctioned-party lists and contacting you to confirm your identity in case of a potential match or recording interaction with you which may be relevant for compliance purposes;
- To analyze and improve our services and communications to you;
- Protecting the security of and managing access to our premises, IT and communication systems, online platforms, websites and other systems, preventing and detecting security threats, fraud or other criminal or malicious activities;
- For insurance purposes;
- For monitoring and assessing compliance with our policies and standards;
- To comply with our legal and regulatory obligations and requests anywhere in the world;
- To comply with court orders and exercises and/or defend our legal rights; and
- For any purpose related and/or ancillary to any of the above or any other purpose for which your personal data was provided to us.
- Communicating with you through various channels to keep you up to date on the latest AIPN events, conferences, services, products and technologies (including newsletters and other information), and relevant deadlines, such as for annual dues renewal deadlines;
- Customer surveys, marketing campaigns, market analysis, sweepstakes, contests or other promotional activities or events;
- Collecting information about your preferences to create a user profile to personalize and foster the quality of our communication and interaction with you (for example, by way of newsletter tracking or website analytics); or
- Verifying (and in some cases, collecting and storing) your personal information, such as member ID, name, address, telephone number, email address, credit card number and other basic information about a user for the primary purpose of completing a transaction, including, but not limited to, sending a user transactional communications, when users transact with AIPN through its website, by telephone, email or facsimile.
With regard to marketing-related communication, we will - where legally required - only provide you with such information after you have opted in or have elected to become an AIPN member, thereby establishing a business relationship and a “legitimate interest” with AIPN for our service and benefits, and provide you the opportunity to opt out at any time (by sending an email to email@example.com), if you do not want to receive further marketing-related communication from us. We will not use your personal data for taking any automated decisions affecting you or creating profiles other than described above.
Depending on for which of the above Permitted Purposes we use your personal data, we may process your personal data on one or more of the following legal grounds:
- Because processing is necessary for the performance of a member instruction or other engagement with you or your organization;
- To comply with our legal obligations (e.g. records for tax purposes); or
- Because processing is necessary for purposes of our legitimate interest or those of any third party recipients that receive your personal data, provided that such interests are not overridden by your interests or fundamental rights and freedoms.
In addition, the processing may be based on your consent where you have expressly given that to us.
With whom will we share your personal data?
We may share your personal data in the following circumstances:
- We may share your personal data within AIPN on a confidential basis where required for the purpose of providing our member services or other products or services and for administrative, billing and other business purposes;
- If you are a member of AIPN, unless you decline disclosure of such information during your member application or renewal process, we may disclose your personal data to:
- other members via the online membership directory (for purposes of enabling contact between members in a professional capacity); and/or
- If you are a registrant of an AIPN event, unless you decline disclosure of such information, we may disclose your registration details to:
- Other event registrants in attendee contact lists for the purpose of enabling contact between event attendees in a professional capacity; and/or
- Other sponsoring organizations in which AIPN co-hosts or co-sponsors an event, conference or other activity to which you or your organization are a registrant, sponsor, host or co-host; If you are a registrant for an AIPN event, we may disclose basic registration data, such as your name, job title and company name to local organizers for the purpose of administering the event locally only (e.g., creation of name badges, check-in lists and where applicable, lists required for venue security purposes).
- We may disclose your contact details on a confidential basis to third parties for the purposes of collecting your feedback on AIPN’s service and membership provision, to help us measure our performance and to improve and promote our services;
- We may also instruct service providers within or outside of AIPN, domestically or abroad, e.g. shared service centers, to process personal data for the Permitted Purposes on our behalf and in accordance with our instructions only; and
- We may also use aggregated personal data and statistics for the purpose of monitoring website usage in order to help us develop our website and our services.
Otherwise, we will only disclose your personal data when you direct us or give us permission, when we are required by applicable law or regulations or judicial or official request to do so, or as required to investigate actual or suspected fraudulent or criminal activities.
Note that broad disclosure of personally identifiable information in the AIPN membership directory is strictly prohibited by AIPN, including disclosure of the entire list of names or multiple names from the membership directory as a whole, or individual records, as a source of contacts for unsolicited offers by the individual members of goods or services (including training courses, consulting business solicitation, brokering asset sales) via e-mail or other methods of contacts by members or nonmembers. Such abuses of the membership directory may lead to sanctions of an offending member by AIPN including but not limited to temporarily or permanently removing the offending member’s access to the membership directory, or terminating the offending member’s membership in the AIPN.
Personal data about other people which you provide to us
Keeping personal data about you secure
We will take appropriate technical and organizational measures to keep your personal data confidential and secure in accordance with our internal procedures covering the storage, disclosure of and access to personal data. Personal data may be kept on our personal data technology systems, those of our contractors or in paper files.
Although AIPN takes reasonable measures to ensure the security of the personal data you may choose to provide AIPN from loss or misuse, unfortunately the transmission of data through the Internet cannot be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Neither AIPN, nor its affiliates, nor any of their respective employees, officers or agents or the provider of the internet services on behalf of AIPN (nor any other person involving the management or establishment of AIPN’s website) can give any representation or warranty as to the absolute security of the data transmitted using the AIPN website and cannot give any guarantee that such data will not be compromised by bad actors. If you choose to provide data to or allow collection of data by AIPN or any of its affiliates or any of their respective officers, directors or employees, agents, or independent contractors, then you do so understanding the aforementioned risk.
Transferring your personal data abroad
AIPN is a globally active not-for-profit organization working through our staff and volunteer membership to offer networking events, educational programs and conferences and model contracts. However, AIPN’s only offices are located in Houston, Texas, USA, and all of our employees and administrative services are based at that office. Therefore, by providing us with personal data, you acknowledge and agree that you are choosing to transmit that data to our offices in Houston and that any such transfer of data shall be by you (and not AIPN) as a result of your decision to provide us with such data.
Personal Data of Minors
AIPN makes no active effort to collect personal information from children under the age of 18 and does not wish to receive any such information.
Updating personal data about you
If any of the personal data that you have provided to us changes, for example if you change your email address or if you wish to cancel any request you have made of us, or if you become aware we have any inaccurate personal data about you, please let us know by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or an AIPN Member may login to the Member area of the AIPN website and update his or her information by selecting “My Profile”, “Manage Individual Profile”. We will not be responsible for any losses arising from any inaccurate, inauthentic, deficient or incomplete Personal Data that you provide to us.
For how long do we retain your personal data?
Your personal data will be deleted when it is no longer reasonably required for the Permitted Purposes or you withdraw your consent (where applicable) and we are not legally required or otherwise permitted to continue storing such data. We will, in particular, retain your personal data where required for AIPN to assert or defend against legal claims until the end of the relevant retention period or until the claims in question have been settled.
Subject to certain legal conditions, you have the right to request a copy of the personal data about you which we hold, to have any inaccurate personal data corrected, to request erasure of your personal data (i.e., to invoke, under the GDPR, the “right to be forgotten”) and to object to or restrict our using your personal data. You may also make a complaint if you have a concern about our handling of your personal data. Subject to certain legal conditions, if data you have provided is subject to GDPR, you also have the right: (1) to receive a copy of your personal data that you have provided AIPN in a structured, commonly used and machine-readable format and have the right to transmit such data to another controller without hindrance from AIPN; and (2) to exempt yourself from automated individual decision-making based on person data you have provided to AIPN.
If you wish to do any of the above please send an email to email@example.com. We may request that you prove your identity by providing us with a copy of a valid means of identification in order for us to comply with our security obligations and to prevent unauthorized disclosure of data. We reserve the right to charge you a reasonable administrative fee for any manifestly unfounded or excessive requests concerning your access to your data, and for any additional copies of the personal data you request from us.
We will consider any requests or complaints which we receive and provide you with a response in a timely manner. If you are not satisfied with our response, you may take your complaint to the relevant privacy regulator. We will provide you with details of your relevant regulator upon request.
Links to Third-Party Websites
Updates to this Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice was last updated in August 2018. We reserve the right to update and change this Privacy Notice from time to time in order to reflect any changes to the way in which we process your personal data or changing legal requirements. In case of any such changes, we will post the changed Privacy Notice on our website or publish it otherwise. The changes will take effect as soon as they are posted on this website.
How to get in touch with AIPN
We welcome your views about our website and our Privacy Notice. If you would like to contact us with any queries or comments, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or send a letter to AIPN’s Executive Director, AIPN 11111 Katy Freeway, Suite 615, Houston, Texas 77079.
A "cookie" is a small text file which is stored on the user's hard drive or mobile device. Cookies perform a number of functions associated with browsing websites and are used for a variety of different purposes, such as tracing users from page to page on an internet site, thereby enhancing a user's browsing experience. They are generated by web servers when the user enters an internet page and are passed to the user's computer or mobile device and stored for subsequent future access.
The AIPN Website uses both session and persistent cookies for the following purposes:
- Help to identify each browser session on the server so that the user has an uninterrupted journey through the AIPN Website.
- Help determine that a user is logged in.
- Help load pages efficiently by routing users to the same server consistently.
- For user authentication that allows the user to view restricted-access content without having to login to every restricted-access page over and over.
- To enhance a user’s experience by “remembering” certain information to deliver custom, personalized content and information.
- To store certain information to allow for easier login during the user’s subsequent visits.
- Identify repeat visits from a single user.
- Assist in collecting anonymized information about how visitors use the site, including the number of visitors, where visitors have come from before coming to the site and the pages they visit on the site.
- For AIPN to monitor the effectiveness of any promotional or marketing campaigns.
- Analyzing and improving website security.
Google Analytics cookies
AIPN uses certain cookies for analytical purposes to monitor its website performance and how users interact with the site. Google Analytics stores internet protocol ("IP") addresses on its servers in the US. An IP address is a unique number assigned to each device (such as your computer) that allows it to communicate with other devices on a computer network (such as modems, printers or other computers). Neither AIPN nor Google associates your IP address with any information that can identify the user personally.
These cookies enable Google to determine whether you are a return visitor to the site, and to track the pages that you visit during your session.
Effective Date: August 15, 2018